Describe a Room Using Sound

My Head in a Room

the sound of my breath
is the most obvious sound
a sound that is always there
but is usually buried
under all the other sounds of the world
of the day

but I hear it now in this room
my bedroom in the morning
cat asleep on the bed behind me
her gentle cat snoring
is a subtle, quiet flutter

there is a buzz
from my old computer speakers
they are broken
they never really turn off
even when I push the button
that is supposed to turn them off
they still hum
they refuse to be silent
unless I unplug them completely

some sounds just never go away
the bathroom fan left on
or other mysterious constant buzzes
mechanical whirling of our modern world

a roommate with a nervous tick
a cough every two minutes
or somebody walks by the cat toy
that makes an artificial rat chirp
whenever you walk by it

and on top of everything else
the incessant sound of my own thoughts
how is it that sounds happens inside my head?
how is there space for sound?
should it not be a vacuum?
how can I hear in my imagination?

my head is an echo chamber
thoughts have echoed here
some for decades
songs stuck on repeat
unheard for years
then appearing out of nowhere
a haunted radio
I try to find it
I try to turn it down

acceptance
that is the only true answer
accept the noise
the cat snores
the neighbours upstairs
the roommates cough
the bathroom fan
my thoughts
meditation
is not annihilation
these things are life
life just coming at me

Comments

Popular Posts