a system of objects

I feel as though I am drowned in a flood of objects
my room the tomb of a great pharaoh, I am buried here
among my board games in boxes
stacked like bones to the ceiling
my shelf lined with plastic robots
piles of clothes
books and comics
every surface covered

I feel like I am swimming in all this
how did I become such a creature of things?
a magnet
thing begets next thing
begets next thing ad infinitum
a phone begets a computer
begets a headset
begets a set of speakers
a DVD player
a screen
a remote
and wires everywhere

I feel inundated
truly inundated
every object tells its story
a little obsessive story
about a thought
that turned into a drive
that turned into a must have
now it is landed here
an alien
consumed into the tomb unit
every object
whispers a number
some abstract calculation of what it thinks its worth to me

a system of objects
a lifeless society of the inanimate
am I their inmate
or their lord?
as I lord over all these things
I wonder what is missing?
what else do I need...
the endless wonder...
the endless need...

like a spider
I make a web of plastic and paper
I catch things in a web of things
then I make an empty meal of all my things
I regurgitate them back into their boring places
a mummy in a tomb
in a world of mummies in tombs

Comments

Popular Posts